Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Janalee, Soccer, and Pops

What a day yesterday was!! I apologize now that this post is so long, but most days I don't have any activities planned- not yesterday. About 2 months ago my cousin Janalee (from the same family that experienced the car wreck- when it rains it pours) was having some pains in her neck and had an MRI done, nothing was found in her neck, but by some chance find they found a growth on her Thyroid. To make a long story short, she found out she had cancer. She is not even 30 years old! She planned the surgery to be on the 15th the day after they got home from Mexico. So, yesterday was her big surgery day. The doctors took the Thyroid out and a couple lymph nodes that the cancer had spread to. My sister and I decided to load up the kids and head to Ogden (where she had the surgery) to see her. I might add that the kids did surprisingly well. She got through the surgery well, came home today, and is now on the road to recovery. We know that is was by divine guidance that the cancer was found. Jan we are praying for you and love you so much!!!


Jan and Gracie

After seeing Jan, we rushed home for Brooklyn's first soccer practice. What a joke this turned out to be. My cousin Lacey's daughter Rylee is also on the team and as luck would go I answered the phone one night and was asked to be the coach. You can see by the pictures how well Brooklyn and Rylee did at practice. Brooklyn bawled like a baby the whole time and they both said they were so tired. To make matters worse, I hadn't grabbed my gym shoes and was wearing my UGGS and the floor was VERY slippery. I go chasing after a ball start to fall and tried to catch myself, but the floor was so slippery I fell right on BUTT! Yes, I wanted to die. I would say there were close to 100 parents there and there I am on my behind. Nat was sitting by a guy who burst out laughing and said, "the coach just biffed it!" I went straight to Lacey and hung on her and we laughed our heads off. I think I will definately be in the running for coach of the year. At the end of the night Brooklyn informed me she wanted Pops to be her coach. She has practice again tomorrow- so wish me well.

Brooklyn and Rylee "playing" soccer


The picture says it all- Rylee, Brooklyn, and my dad

It just so happened that it was also my dad's birthday, so we ended the day with dinner at Iggy's. When Brooklyn was little she started calling my dad "papa" and then shortened it to "pops" and that is was she has called him ever since. I would say that I am the typical "daddy's little girl." I am so lucky to have such a great dad! Thank you dad for all you do for us and for being you! We love you so much! Happy Birthday Pops!!

Pops and Gracie

Pops and Brooklyn
Pops and Garrett

10 comments:

Natalie said...

I apologize to everyone that I didn't manage to get a picture of Emily sprawled across the floor in all of her glory during soccer practice. It was quite lovely and the image will be forever in my mind!

Rachel said...

I wish I could have seen you on the floor, so funny, afterwards of course! I love the picture at the end of garrett and the face he is pulling!

Melissa Hernandez said...

I am glad that your family is okay after that wreck, those pictures looked like it was really bad, they are sooooo lucky. And, nice job with the "biffing of the butt" that is something I would totally do!

Carley said...

Okay---where to start---give the Anderson's our love---we hope that Janalee and Kami recover well from everything that has happened---unbelievable----That is too hilarious about the soccer game---don't worry, I have had many of those moments in my life---at least we can laugh about it after the fact!!!! Too cute that Brooklyn and Riley are playing soccer together! Could you give me Lacey's e-mail address if you have it? I want to keep in touch with her too, but I don't think I ever had her e-mail.

kimbereggl said...

Wow! Those pics of the wreck are unbelievable! I'm so glad everyone is okay. Loved the soccer story..one of those great "privileges" of being a parent! Love-Kim

Shelly Traveller said...

I'm glad your O.K from the fall. I'm glad you could laugh about it (it's laught or cry, right). Your a good mom to accept the job as coach. I'm pretty sure I would decline, but I've never played so it would be quite the sight, they would probably be running the wrong way.
And happy late birthday to Sparky! We luv ya pops!

kristen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all your family is dealing with right now. Let them know that we are thinking of them and wishing them speedy recoveries! Rylee and Brooklyn are playing soccer together? Too cute! You'll definetly have to share those pictures in the future.

Katie Griffiths said...

That's a really funny story. I so wish I had seen it. I read it right before bed last night so you were in my dream...carrying the Olympic torch. Don't worry, you didn't drop it!

Kylene said...

I was envisioning the whole falling episode and laughing the entire time (not AT you, WITH you of course!) Glad you're okay!! :)

Kiesha said...

Hey soccer mom! We haven't quite ventured there yet.
I can't beleive what an amazing person Paula is after having so many trials in her life. I always enjoy her R.S. lessons (especially with stories of her neice in them). :) Anyways, it was good to chat with you the other day and seeing how well every one was doing. Take care!