Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Relay for Life

Click to play Relay for Life
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow



On Saturday, my family had the opportunity to participate in our 6th Relay for Life. My Grandma Vone passed away in 2003 after fighting Colon Cancer. That year we did our first relay. It is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and it raises money for cancer research. The first 5 years we participated we were known as "Team Yvonne" since then we have had to add others to our list who have had cancer. This year our team name was "ABCP Team." This stands for Anderson (my cousin Janalee is currently fighting thyroid cancer). Bunn (my cousin Lorie's father-in-law passed away from cancer). Commish (my cousin Lorie and Camille's grandma passed away from cancer). Petersen (my Grandma Vone and Grandpa Butch both passed away from cancer). Last year my Grandpa Claude participated with us in the Relay and even walked the survivors lap for surviving Prostate Cancer. Little did we know at that time that about 6 or 7 short weeks later he would be passing away from Pancreatic Cancer. Cancer is a NASTY NASTY thing. I have seen it take 2 people that I love dearly. This Relay is almost like therapy because you are around others who have gone through similiar things. Our family raised $4000 this year and we are quite proud of that. We get together, walk, eat good food (mosty junk), and enjoy each other's company. There is always an opening ceremony- this year a family by the last name of Packer spoke to open things up. They had just buried their 10 year old daughter Clarissa 2 weeks earlier and were there to speak. It was very tear jerking and moving. After that there is a survivors lap and it is amazing to see babies up to older people who have survived or are surviving cancer. (My cousin Jan was going to walk the survivors lap this year, but had to have her Gall-bladder removed the week before the relay). Then you walk all night and it ends the following morning. It is such a great cause.

7 comments:

Katie Griffiths said...

Good for your family - that's awesome. I was at my parent's house this weekend and listening to all the farm chatter on the radio. It made me miss hearing your grandpa's voice calling over the radio. Who knows how my dad will make it through hay season without him!

Natalie said...

I LOVE the picture of dad and his little twin at the end. It was our best relay ever and I think it's safe to say that nobody had a better time than Brooklyn. Thanks again for loaning us the snowsuit!

Chantel said...

What a great thing for your family to do.

Kylene said...

What a great thing to do! I think that events like these are such good bonding times for families. It puts things in perspective real quick. I'm glad that you got to take such a great part in it.

Carley said...

Next year will be the year we are there...I promise!!! I really wish we would have been there...what a bummer...oh well, I hope grandma and grandpa know I was there in spirit!!!

Melissa Hernandez said...

That is such an awesome thing to do with your family. I'm sure its emotional to see everyone around you running for an awesome cause! Can't wait to see you this weekend! Did Shaun decide to "opt" out??

Kiesha said...

Your family is amazing! We've been keeping Janalee in our prayers as well as all the Anderson's. What a crazy past few months for them! Is Brooklyn going to Janae next year? If so, we should get a carpool goin'. See ya at the reunion!