Friday, September 18, 2009

LOTOJA

Last weekend my brother Brian rode in is SIXTH LOTOJA- if you are unfamiliar with this race it goes from Logan to Jackson Hole almost 200 miles. Quite the feat in my opinion. Sean had to work on Saturday and the gals and I are always ready for an adventure so we went with my mom and Chels. My dad, Sher, Brett, and B and Sher's good friends Dan and Sarah did support. We had a GREAT time with a couple incidents. After Soda Springs and before you get to Star Valley, Wyoming you go through an area called Tin Cup. We were cruising along and the next thing I hear from the back of the car is the throwing up sound and Chelsea saying, "Gracie just barfed." It wasn't a little throw-up either and it was the nasty smelling kind- that we had to deal with the rest of the day. So here we are pulled off to the side of the road- my mom and I were trying to get Gracie cleaned up and in clean clothes and Chelsea pulled the true love of an aunt and cleaned up the carseat. THANK YOU CHELS!!! This has happened to Gracie a couple different times when we are driving- poor thing- I think she gets car sick. She was fine after and didn't throw-up any more the rest of the trip. Thank goodness. Back to the LOTOJA- Brian did awesome and I have got to say as cheesy as it sounds that I am so proud of him for completing this 6 times. This year he even received a "major award" (we like to tease him about it) for completing 1000 miles. Good Job, B! The night before the race as he was getting ready he kept saying he wished there was a way he could get out of it honorably- joking around and kept making jokes about his bike breaking or someone stealing it or something like that. Which brings us to incident #2. Brian's bike was in the back of my dad's truck and we were following them. In Montpelier, my dad goes to pass a truck and as he is passing we see the bike come up and then back down and then up and is flying out of the truck going right towards the truck they are passing. I don't remember doing this but Brett and Chels say that I yell out, "OH NO! Brian's bike!!" I start honking the horn- like that is going to make a difference or they can hear it. So luckily the bike misses the truck- it lands right on the handle bars- flips onto the front tire- and then the seat- and skids across the road. Apparently my dad sees the bike fly out of the truck and totally cut the truck off he was passing and slammed on his brakes causing this poor truck to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting my dad. Poor truck- we are sorry that we caused you to have not 1, but 2 heartattacks. So here sits B's poor bike in the middle of the road- I get the flashers on and jump out the Durango and grab the bike. We did make the rest of the trip home without any other incidents! The poor bike didn't fair so well and has a couple cracks in the frame- which means it is history. Good thing it happened after- I guess. All-in-all we had a great time- a fast trip but a good trip.

At Alpine Junction

Brooklyn loved looking at the Snake River



B and his "major award" and if you look closely in the back you can see the Tetons

Speaking of the Tetons- this was our view from the deck of the condo we stayed out. I think these mountains are amazing!

4 comments:

Melissa Hernandez said...

somehow i missed your last post....Congrat's on running the 5K....next thing you know you will be doing half marathon's and then marathons...you go!!!!

Carley said...

wow...that is awesome that Brian did that again...6 times....sounds like quite the adventure...the timing worked out though that the bike didn't get totaled until afterwards...throw up in the car (especially the car seat) is the worst...

Rachel said...

SIX TIMES! Is he CRAZY!! I guess this means he gets a new bike.

Natalie said...

I'm so bummed I missed it this year, but having both me and Gracie barfing in the car would not have been sensational. :) I still can't believe that happened with Brian's bike. Luckily he's a good sport and handled it so well.