Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmastime Activities

We have had a lovely  month of December thus far! We have loved the music, the lights, talking about Jesus, and the overall spirit that is in the air. At Thanksgiving time, my cousin Kami brought some Gingerbread houses for the kids to do. Gracie had been talking about making a Gingerbread house since after Halloween and one day when Paula was watching her- Gracie called Kami and told her she wanted to make one- so Kami brought them up. The kiddos LOVED making them and ours is still standing strong at our house. We were also able to make it to the Live Nativity- this is something we have done for the past 3 or 4 years. (There is a place in Nibley that has a barn and they put on the the story or Christ's birth.) It is a very humbling experience. I remember when I was pregnant with Gracie around Christmastime and there at the end as uncomfortable as I was- I couldn't help but think of Mary and having to ride on a donkey in labor- only to find that there was not a room available. The only place a stable, and knowing she would soon be delivering the Son of God. Our Savior was born into the most humble of circumstances- I really can't think of anything more so than being in a barn with animals surrounding. What a wonderful season and the opportunity we have to stop and reflect on the birth of our Savior.


Gingerbread houses on this end of the table


Games at this end



Ella enjoyed it bundled up asleep- with her hat over her eyes


Gracie has really been into playing Mary- any chance she gets- she puts a shawl over her head and plays the part well.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I just love this time of year. We have really been working on our kids to get the reason for the season. It looks like your kids are learning the same lesson :)

Kylene said...

Cute gingerbread houses and as always, darling girls! I feel like I have been so busy (and tired!) with a new baby that I haven't been able to soak in all the Christmas magic. I need to make time to ponder and reflect and the true reason for the season. Thanks for the sweet post.

Natalie said...

I love Gracie as Mary. I haven't seen her do that yet and it is precious. I think we know what her job will be on Christmas Eve...although I'm sure Abby will be heartbroken. She's been looking forward to playing Mary all year. ;)

Brett and Chelsea said...

love our miss Gracie Kay. Such a sweetheart!

Melissa Hernandez said...

fun festivities, I just heard about the live nativity scene a couple days ago. I had no idea this was done in town, I totally want to go next year! I can't believe how much your girls look a like, darling!