Monday, June 14, 2010

Catching Up...

I can't believe it is already the middle of June!! I have kinda been doing some blog slacking so I need to get caught up. When I was growing, Memorial Day was a big day for our family. We would meet at my Grandma Ila's house and go to the Wellsville Cemetary on sunday. We would put flowers on my grandpa's grave, her parents grave, her brother's grave, and whoever else she felt like. My grandma was very peticular about this process. The flowers couldn't just be set to the side of the grave- they needed to be spread out in front in just the right way. After Wellsville, we would then go to the Hyrum Cemetary and put flowers on my grandpa's parents grave. Well this tradition has been handed down to my mom and my aunt Paula. (My dad and uncle Ric are good sports and stake down the flowers just where they are told.) This year we had a family BBQ with my dad's side of the family on sunday and then we all went to the cemetary. We missed putting the flowers on my grandma Ila's grave, but still went by. Then on Memorial day we went to Sean's grandparents house. We had a great time- and as usual his grandparents spoiled us with a yummy lunch and entertaining the kids. Sean spent most of his time driving the kids around on the Ranger- they cannot get enough of that thing. And then grandpa fired up and old antique tractor- that I know was his dads and might have even been his grandpa's. But the thing still runs- Brooklyn had a blast riding with great-grandpa.

For Christmas, we told my parents we would provide the labor for them to get a spinkling system if they would get the parts. So last saturday we met at their house and the boys and Chelsea (way to represent the women) got to work. Nat and I utilized ourselves by preparing lunch and entertaining the kiddos. It turned into a much bigger project than I think we planned on and my dad managed to hurt his back again. But, it is up and running.

The most exciting thing to happen to our family in the past month, happened on thursday night. Brooklyn has had a wiggly tooth and has been SOOOO excited for it to come out. So thursday we were in the bathroom brushing her teeth and she was messing with it and I asked her if we should pull it out. She was a little unsure but decided that she wanted to try. I couldn't get my fingers in good enough to get it. So I told her to grab it and pull. She did and it came out. She didn't cry or even say "ow" like I thought she would. She was beyond excited and had to call everyone to let them know.


Brooklyn and Rylee at the Newton Cemetary

Wellsville Cemetary

Brooklyn and great-grandpa on the tractor

We were following behind and Sean took this picture that we love

Gracie could've stayed on the Ranger all day

My brother Brett, my dad, and my brother Brian

(We had a lot of helpers- I think when we were taking pictures, Derk was on the 10th run for parts, the rest of the dream team included Sean, Ruben, Willy, and Ric.)



I love this gal. She can't stand to be dirty- so she opted for the "Derkville" boots as we call them and had the time of her life.

Brett and Chels- trying to get Brett to act descent for a picture is next to impossible!

Brooklyn's first lost tooth

Sean and his gals

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love how proud they are when they finally lose a tooth. Did the tooth fairy come?
Sounds like you guys had an eventful holiday weekend. We always used to go to the cemetery when I was a kid, ever single year, but then I got married and it is now the opening day for fishing :) hmmmmm

PS we have all been sick for the past couple of weeks so I will give you a call when we are all feeling better for a lunch date!

Katie Griffiths said...

Busy, busy, busy. I guess that's the best way to be in the summer!

Clayton and Heidi said...

Love the updates. You guys have been busy. That tractor picture needs to be framed!

Melissa Hernandez said...

I love family traditions! I am soooo not looking forward to putting in a sprinkling system, but I am dying to put grass in. Maybe I can just put in some grass and forget about the sprinkler system and go old school and put one of those tractors that follow the hose around the yard! LOL!
What a fun milestone for Brooklyn, did you have so much fun playing the toothfairy?

Kami Anderson said...

I love the picture of Brooklyn and her grandpa on the tractor from the back. I'm glad your Dad finally got a sprinkling system. With as picky as he is about his watering he has needed it for years.

Rosie said...

You have such a beautiful family Emily! Summer time is always so crazy with all the fun things going on, have fun!