Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My first quilt

About 5 years ago when I graduated from college my parents gave me a sewing machine- which has been sitting in the box this whole time until last week. My sister has been doing quite a bit a sewing and making some way cute stuff so I decided it was time I put my machine to use. My friend is having a baby and so I decided that instead of buying an outfit I would make her a rag quilt. Nat helped me learn how to use my sewing machine, cut the squares, layout the design, and sew some of the x's. I have got to say I became hooked. I did this whole thing- my first project in 1 day. The cutting took some more time and I washed it last night and it looks great. I am excited to give this to her. I am excited to have a new hobby!

12 comments:

The Maynards said...

Good job! It turned out really cute. I started to make one similar to that before Ali was born. I made it about half way and it looked like crap, so I threw it away.

Melissa Hernandez said...

Look how fancy!!! I love it, you need to teach me! All of our friends have hidden talents, we need to start doing "Hidden Talent" Nights for GNO and teach each other cool stuff!

The Mursets said...

SO CUTE! I love it! And your blog background is awesome too!

Carley said...

WOW Em! That looks so cute! What a talented gal you are! You will have to teach me....I got a D on a sewing project in jr. high....following dotted lined on paper with a sewing machine...wonder why I never pursued sewing?!!?

Chantel said...

So cute!! Our friends gave us a blanket like that for Maxwell and it became his magic blanket. Way to go in the hidden talent department :)

Rachel said...

That is so BLASTED CUTE! I love the girls tights in the valentine's day pics.

Atkinsons said...

It's beautiful! I talked Shawn into getting me a sewing a machine, I just got it yesturday. I am trying to get it figured out but already I'm addicted and I havent even made anything!

Heather Whitehead said...

So cute i love those blankets and that is very impressive you made that. Great job!

Kiesha said...

Nice! Do you have one of those fancy cutters and cutting board? I've tried a peice-quilt before but I cut the squares with scissors and had a hard time fitting them together right. Kudos!

Rosie said...

So, so cute! You should make a buch and sell them on ETSY!

Katie Griffiths said...

Very cute - I wish I was the friend having a baby. Lucky friend!

Brett and Chelsea said...

It looks so cute! I'd bet she's going to love it. I would have to say that I feel the same after making the quilt that I just made too.